Gaoyuan Cao, M.D., M.S.
Senior Research Investigator
Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine and Science
Child Health Institute of New Jersey
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
89 French Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Fax: (732) 235-7178
B.M.in clinical medicine, West China University of Medical Sciences, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
M.S. in Medical Science, West China University of Medical Sciences, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Dr. Cao has more than twenty years of experience performing biomedical research and teaching with an emphasis in histology, embryology and neurobiology. Before joining the Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine and Science in 2016, Dr. Cao had previously served as a senior research investigator at the Airways Biology Initiative at the University of Pennsylvania. Since joining he has developed a several different protocols for isolating human airway smooth muscles cells, fibroblasts and macrophages, and mouse lung blood vessels and endothelial cells. His current research interests include beta-2AR agonist and beta-2AR desensitization and their use in the treatment of asthma and the effects of the micro-environmental factors on airway smooth muscle cells contraction and relaxation in asthma.
- Adventitial stromal cells and myofibroblasts recruit pro- and anti-inflammatory immune cells in allergic airway inflammation. Allergy. 2023 May 12. PMID: 37171245 DOI: 10.1111/all.15766
- Obesity elicits a unique metabolomic signature in human airway smooth muscle cells.
- Starving a Cell Promotes Airway Smooth Muscle Relaxation: Inhibition of Glycolysis Attenuates Excitation-Contraction Coupling. Xu S, Karmacharya N, Woo J, Cao G, Guo C, Gow A, Panettieri RA Jr, Jude JA. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2022 Oct 13. PMID: 36227725 DOI: 10.1165/rcmb.2021-0495OC Online ahead of print.
- STIM1 is a core trigger of airway smooth muscle remodeling and hyperresponsiveness in asthma. Johnson MT, Xin P, Benson JC, Pathak T, Walter V, Emrich SM, Yoast RE, Zhang X, Cao G, Panettieri RA Jr., Trebak M. PNAS. 2022 Jan 4;119(1):e2114557118. doi: 10.1073/pnas.2114557118. PMID: 34949717.
- Inhibition of ABCC1 Decreases cAMP Egress and Promotes Human Airway Smooth Muscle Cell Relaxation. DOI: 10.1165/rcmb.2021-0345OC.PMID: 34648729.
- FFAR1 activation attenuates histamine-induced myosin light chain phosphorylation and cortical tension development in human airway smooth muscle cells. Xu S, Schwab A, Karmacharya N, Cao G, Woo J, Kim N, An SS, Panettieri RA Jr, Jude JA. Respir Res. 2020 Nov 30;21(1):317. doi: 10.1186/s12931-020-01584-w. PMID: 33256729.
- Dexamethasone rescues TGF-β1-mediated β2-adrenergic receptor dysfunction and attenuates phosphodiesterase 4D expression in human airway smooth muscle cells. Chung E, Ojiaku CA, Cao G, Parikh V, Deeney B, Xu S, Wang S, Panettieri RA Jr, Koziol-White C. Respir Res. 2020 Oct 8;21(1):256. doi: 10.1186/s12931-020-01522-w. PMID: 33032603.
- Budesonide enhances agonist-induced bronchodilation in human small airways by increasing cAMP production in airway smooth muscle. Koziol-White C, Johnstone TB, Corpuz ML, Cao G, Orfanos S, Parikh V, Deeney B, Tliba O, Ostrom RS, Dainty I, Panettieri RA Jr. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2020 Feb 1;318(2):L345-L355. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00393.2019. Epub 2019 Nov 20. PMID: 31747297
- Periarticular Mesenchymal Progenitors Initiate and Contribute to Secondary Ossification Center Formation During Mouse Long Bone Development. Tong W, Tower RJ, Chen C, Wang L, Zhong L, Wei Y, Sun H, Cao G, Jia H, Pacifici M, Koyama E, Enomoto-Iwamoto M, Qin L. Stem Cells. 2019 May;37(5):677-689. doi: 10.1002/stem.2975. Epub 2019 Feb 6. PMID: 30681752.
- Obesity increases airway smooth muscle responses to contractile agonists. Orfanos S, Jude J, Deeney BT, Cao G, Rastogi D, van Zee M, Pushkarsky I, Munoz HE, Damoiseaux R, Di Carlo D, Panettieri RA Jr. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2018 Nov 1;315(5):L673-L681. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00459.2017. Epub 2018 Aug 30. PMID: 30160518.