Cynthia J. Koziol-White, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine and Science
Child Health Institute of New Jersey
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
89 French Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Fax: (732) 235-7178
Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
B.S., Biomolecular Science, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Koziol-White joined the laboratory in 2009 and has focused on novel human models of airway disease exacerbations using state-of-the-art molecular, imaging and cell biology methods. Her specific projects focus on the following platforms:
- Viral-induced airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR). Dr. Koziol-White shows that rhino virus 16-induced AHR occurs independently of viral infectivity and immune responses. Her focus is in delineating the contribution of paracrine and autocrine epithelial cell interactions in modulating airway smooth muscle function.
- Molecular mechanisms promoting novel bronchodilator effects in human airway smooth muscle. Dr. Kozio-White showed that phosphoinositide 3-kinase delta inhibition abrogated and/or prevented agonist-induced bronchoconstriction. This signaling pathway is independent of increases in cyclic AMP and protein kinase A activation.
- Understanding mast cell interaction with airway smooth muscle cell function. Dr. Koziol-White showed that Syk activation is required to induce mast cell-dependent bronchoconstriction in airway smooth muscle Other studies focus on the paracrine and autocrine mechanisms that regulate mast cell effects on immune responses.
- Huang J, Lam H, Koziol-White C, Limjunyawong N, Kim D, Kim N, Karmacharya N, Rajkumar P, Firer D, Dalesio NM, Jude J, Kurten RC, Pluznick JL, Deshpande DA, Penn RB, Liggett SB, Panettieri RA, Dong X, An SS. The odorant receptor OR2W3 on airway smooth muscle evokes bronchodilation via a cooperative chemosensory tradeoff between TMEM16A and CFTR. PNAS 2020 Oct 23. Online ahead of print.
- Parikh V, Scala J, Patel R, Corbi C, Lo D, Bochkov YA, Kennedy JL, Kurten RC, Liggett SB, Gern JE, Koziol-White CJ. Rhinovirus C15 Induces Airway Hyperresponsiveness via Calcium Mobilization in Airway Smooth Muscle. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2020 Mar;62(3):310-318.
- Koziol-White CJ, Ghosh A, Sandner P, Erzurum SE, Stuehr DJ, Panettieri RA Jr. Soluble Guanylate Cyclase Agonists Induce Bronchodilation in Human Small Airways. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2020 Jan;62(1):43-48.
- Singh BK, Lu W, Schmidt Paustian AM, Ge MQ, Koziol-White CJ, Flayer CH, Killingbeck SS, Wang N, Dong X, Riese MJ, Deshpande DA, Panettieri RA Jr, Haczku A, Kambayashi T. Diacylglycerol kinase ζ promotes allergic airway inflammation and airway hyperresponsiveness through distinct mechanisms. Sci Signal. 2019 Sep 3;12(597):eaax3332.
- Duan S, Koziol-White CJ, Jester WF Jr, Nycholat CM, Macauley MS, Panettieri RA Jr, Paulson JC. CD33 recruitment inhibits IgE-mediated anaphylaxis and desensitizes mast cells to allergen. J Clin Invest. 2019 Mar 1;129(3):1387-1401. Epub 2019 Feb 18.
- Koziol-White CJ, Panettieri RA Jr. Modulation of Bronchomotor Tone Pathways in Airway Smooth Muscle Function and Bronchomotor Tone in Asthma. Clin Chest Med. 2019 Mar;40(1):51-57. Epub 2018 Dec 19.
- Johnstone TB, Smith KH, Koziol-White CJ, Li F, Kazarian AG, Corpuz ML, Shumyatcher M, Ehlert FJ, Himes BE, Panettieri RA Jr, Ostrom RS. PDE8 Is Expressed in Human Airway Smooth Muscle and Selectively Regulates cAMP Signaling by β<sub>2</sub>-Adrenergic Receptors and Adenylyl Cyclase 6. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2018 Apr;58(4):530-541.
- Lo D, Kennedy JL, Kurten RC, Panettieri RA Jr, Koziol-White CJ. Modulation of airway hyperresponsiveness by rhinovirus exposure. Respir Res. 2018 Oct 29;19(1):208.
- Madigan LA, Wong GS, Gordon EM, Chen WS, Balenga N, Koziol-White CJ, Panettieri RA Jr, Levine SJ, Druey KM. RGS4 Overexpression in Lung Attenuates Airway Hyperresponsiveness in Mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2018 Jan;58(1):89-98.
- Pushkarsky I, Tseng P, Black D, France B, Warfe L, Koziol-White CJ, Jester WF Jr, Trinh RK, Lin J, Scumpia PO, Morrison SL, Panettieri RA Jr, Damoiseaux R, Di Carlo D. Elastomeric sensor surfaces for high-throughput single-cell force cytometry. Nat Biomed Eng. 2018 Feb;2(2):124-137. Epub 2018 Feb 6. Erratum in: Nat Biomed Eng. 2018 Apr;2(4):265.
- Kennedy JL, Koziol-White CJ, Jeffus S, Rettiganti MR, Fisher P, Kurten M, Eze A, House S, Sikes JD, Askew E, Putt C, Panettieri RA, Jones SM, Kurten RC. Effects of rhinovirus 39 infection on airway hyperresponsiveness to carbachol in human airways precision cut lung slices. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 May;141(5):1887-1890.e1. Epub 2018 Jan 6.
- Yousefi S, Sharma SK, Stojkov D, Germic N, Aeschlimann S, Ge MQ, Flayer CH, Larson ED, Redai IG, Zhang S, Koziol-White CJ, Karikó K, Simon HU, Haczku A. Oxidative damage of SP-D abolishes control of eosinophil extracellular DNA trap formation. J Leukoc Biol. 2018 Jul;104(1):205-214. Epub 2018 May 7.
- Pushkarsky I, Tseng P, Black D, France B, Warfe L, Koziol-White CJ, Jester WF Jr, Trinh RK, Lin J, Scumpia PO, Morrison SL, Panettieri RA Jr, Damoiseaux R, Di Carlo D. Publisher Correction: Elastomeric sensor surfaces for high-throughput single-cell force cytometry. Nat Biomed Eng. 2018 Apr;2(4):265. Erratum for: Nat Biomed Eng. 2018 Feb;2(2):124-137.