To create a vibrant environment for catalyzing and increasing translational and clinical research by providing research platforms, resources, and staff and scientist training, while streamlining administrative processes. By recognizing the diversity of our state’s population, the heterogeneity of disease and responses to treatment, Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine and Science (RITMS) will propel clinical and translational research into transformative approaches to improve the health of individuals, communities and populations in New Jersey and beyond.
RITMS will serve as the academic home for clinical and translational research, infrastructure and training for RBHS, Rutgers University, and its partner institutions across New Jersey. Accomplishing the mission of RITMS and attaining its true potential requires sustainable resources such as a Clinical and Translational Science Award from NIH and other extramural support.
Recognizing the importance of RITMS in fostering growth and development of RBHS, Rutgers University, and its partner institutions across New Jersey, RITMS aims to:
- Improve approaches to health care, benefiting New Jersey and providing early access to novel treatments;
- Fast track the development of new therapeutic and diagnostic approaches;
- Provide core services, training, infrastructure and workforce development to support “signature” and “emerging” programs, and clinical and translational research for Rutgers University and its partner institutions in New Jersey;
- Disseminate benefits from Rutgers’ and its partner institutions’ biomedical research to the RBHS clinical enterprise and to health care providers;
- Through innovative and highly productive partnerships with NJ’s premier biopharmaceutical industry, develop innovative, cost effective disease treatments and cures;
- Facilitate disease-specific research across the lifecycle, recognizing individual differences in disease presentation and responses to treatment;
- Enhance integration of clinical and translational research throughout departments, centers and institutes within RBHS and across Rutgers and its partner institutions, by fostering team and interdisciplinary science while removing institutional barriers;
- Develop, train and mentor a workforce that includes investigators and research staff, capable of conducting superior clinical and translational research working collaboratively in teams;
- Actively engage the community as partners in research, integrating special populations, especially those with health disparities, in clinical research;
- Streamline and improve administrative, contractual and regulatory processes in collaboration with the Office of Research and Economic Development to address obstacles, eliminate redundancy, and increase efficiency and accelerate research;
- Provide informatics tools and solutions to facilitate translational science; and
- Establish a sustainable business model for translational medicine and science at RBHS, Rutgers University and its partner institutions in New Jersey.
Back to the Home Page